Director of the MSc in International Tourism and Destination Management Hervé Joseph-Antoine
The MSc in International Tourism and Destination Management is open to students who have already studied in higher education for a minimum of 3 years. The programme provides you with an array of opportunities both in France and abroad, and prepares you to enter a rapidly changing, multifaceted industry. You will not only learn about how to promote an international destination or region, but also how to market a tourism product and become a fully-operational manager within the industry.
You will therefore develop all the necessary skills for careers in the travel sector (travel agencies, tour operators, web operators, etc.) as well as for regional tourism bodies (tourist information centres, etc.).
Throughout the programme, industry professionals will be on hand to ensure that your learning is in perfect harmony with the realities of the industry.
By the end of the programme, you will have all the necessary knowledge and skills to fully understand the tourism industry… an industry that is constantly evolving, particularly due to digital technology.
Why choose the MSc in International Tourism and Destination Management?
- A CFET-certified MSc (an association that promotes excellence of training programmes in Tourism, endorsed by French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs)
- State-certified RNCP Level 7, Professional Certification ‘Director of Tourism Products’
- A 15-month programme leading to 120 ECTS, ensuring optimal vocational integration
For students entering the course in January, the two semesters presented in the video are staggered.
Exploring 3 principal areas
- Digital Technology: because ‘digital’ represents more than 2/3 of industry turnover, and because it is not only transforming the way the industry’s traditional actors operate (Incoming Tour Operators, Tour Operators etc.) but is also creating new careers (Traffic Manager etc.).
- The Customer Experience: because customer satisfaction means developing offers that are ever more appealing and interesting.
- Local areas and regions: because in a context of intense competition between destinations, it is essential to fully understand the dynamics of each destination – seasonality, type of clientele and tourism offer etc.
Our Campus: Tours
The entire programme takes place on the Tours campus, located in the heart of the Loire Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
All you need to know about languages, assessment, lessons and your teachers
Three types of evaluation:
- Continuous assessment: 40% of the final mark
- End-of-semester exams: 60% of the final mark
- End-of-studies thesis, at the end of Year 2
The MSc in International Tourism and Destination Management combines the expertise of Visiting Professors with that of the research-active Faculty at Excelia Tourism School. In addition, lessons are given by industry professionals, renowned for their strong expertise in their respective fields.
Types of lessons:
Programme structure: 15 months, 120 ECTS
In Semester 1, you will acquire a strong strategic vision of the Tourism and Destination Management industry.
In Semester 2, you will discover a wide range of Tourism modules, in areas such as Destination Management, Events, Digital Technology, Experience Design, and even Sustainable Development for Tourism. This will provide you with both the theory and the practical knowledge to be an effective leader in International Tourism and Destination Management.
‘Best of France’ Learning Expedition: you will learn about, and experience first-hand, French expertise in Tourism and Destination Management, visiting the Loire Valley Châteaux, Futuroscope, Cognac, Tours, Périgord, and some important historical sites.
In Semester 3, you will prepare your Master Dissertation whilst carrying out a 6-month company-based internship, either in France or abroad.
September- December: Lessons (30 ECTS) January- May: Lessons and Learning Expedition "Best Of France" June- December: 6-month strategic internship in France or abroad, and Master Dissertation
Themes in Semester 1: develop a Strategic Vision of Tourism and Destination industry
- Applied Project Management
- Actors, Trends and Prospects in Tourism Industry
- Tourism and Cultures
- Tourism Policies
- Strategic Tourism and Destination Marketing
- Financial Budgetary Control
- Strategic Event Management
- Experience Design
- Research Methodology
The aim is to train students in managerial functions while developing their expertise in the tourism industry.
Themes in Semester 2: acquire applied skills in Tourism and Destination Management
- Human Resources Management
- Innovation Management: ‘Best of France’ Learning Expedition… discover and experience the Best of French Tourism and Destinations
- Applied Data Analytics for Tourism and Destination Management
- Management and Governance of Sustainable Development in Tourism
- Research Methodology
- Consultancy Project: become a consultant, carrying out a real mission for a real company
- Destination Branding and Identity Strategies
Semester 3: Master Dissertation and 6-month Company Mission
- Master Dissertation in Tourism and Destination Management: choose your subject and demonstrate your research and analytical skills
- A vocationally-oriented semester with a valuable 6-month company-based internship
The different courses and projects are provided for indicative purposes only and are subject to change from one year to the next. The specialisations offered will only be available if the required minimum number of students is reached.
Internships: 6 months of experience
The programme concludes with a internship, to be carried out in France or abroad. By the end of your studies, you will have acquired 6 months of valuable company-based experience.
Personalised Support and Guidance from your Mentor
Throughout your studies, you will benefit from personalised support and guidance. The school offers workshops structured around personal development (self-awareness and self-assertion), communication tools (such as CVs and cover letters), understanding the job market, learning about different careers and developing your professional network.
"Best Of France" Learning Expedition
With some 90 million international tourists, France is the No.1 destination in the world. During the programme, you will have the opportunity to learn about, and experience first-hand, French expertise in Tourism and Destination Management, visiting the Loire Valley Châteaux, Futuroscope, Cognac, Tours, Périgord, and some important historical sites.
You will carry out a consultancy project on behalf of a major player in the industry (e.g. Atout France, Futuroscope etc.). In groups, you will complete a detailed analysis of the issue and then present your findings and associated recommendations to a panel made up of managers from the partner company.
Examples of past projects:
- "How can we adapt the World Forum event 2016 to the La Rochelle area?" (World Forum, 2016)
- "Developing a night-time tourism economy in Paris." (Welcome City Lab 2016)
- "How can we continue to develop our business?" (Yescapa, specialist in the hire of motorhomes between private individuals)
Several times a year, graduates visit the School to present and explain the different strategies adopted by industry professionals or perhaps to give a presentation on a specific career.
Your programme culminates with your Master Dissertation, which enables the school to evaluate your ability to understand and deal with a complex issue through theoretical analysis, to formulate a diagnosis and to put forward pertinent recommendations and solutions.
Our graduates quickly take up positions of responsibility across all 5 continents and, thanks to their MSc, they rapidly rise to management positions.
Our graduates work in a wide variety of posts, in organisations such as:
- Travel Agencies
- Tour Operators
- Incoming Tour Operators
- Tourist Information Centres
- Local and Regional Tourist Boards
- Internet-based Travel Operators
Facts & Figures
- 85% of our graduates find a job within 6 months of graduating
- 35% secure a job contract before the end of their studies
- 42% work abroad – the principal countries are United Kingdom, Spain, Australia, India, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia
Sectors they work in:
- 43% in Hospitality and Catering
- 20% in Event Management
- 18% in the Travel Industry
- 8% in Tourist Boards
- 5% in Leisure and Entertainment
- 6% in other sectors of Tourism
Tuition Fees 2022-2023
Students from within the European Union*
- 15-month MSc - If you join the programme with 3 years of post-high school education : €18,900
- 15-month MSc - If you join the programme with 4 years of post-high school education : €15,000
* 28 European Union members: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France and French Overseas Territories, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, The United Kingdom.
Students from outside the European Union
- 15-month MSc - If you join the programme with 3 years of post-high school education : €19,500
- 15-month MSc - If you join the programme with 4 years of post-high school education : €17,000
Tuition fees are provided for information purposes only and are subject to change from one year to the next.
In addition to tuition fees, you need to take into account the following costs:
- Multiservice charge (see details below)
- Annual administration costs relating to a double qualification (if applicable)
- Enrolment fees at a partner university in the case of a double qualification (to be paid directly to the partner establishment)
This one-off Multiservice fee gives access to the following services: Multimedia and Internet network, Cyberlibris (online library), Student Identity Card, Reprographics credit, Intranet, e-learning modules, Wi-Fi, Talent Centre activities and services, International Insurance-Assistance (for any periods spent abroad during the period covered by this contract), University library, University Medical Service etc.
Financing your studies
Admission for international students or French students living outside France:
- Applications for 15 months MSc:
The programme is open to students with a minimum of 3 years of post-High School education or international equivalent.
Start date: January.
Personal motivation interview is carried out by internet via our dedicated platform (day and time of your choice).
Application fees: €50
Download our mobile application!
With our Mobile Application you can...
- Organise your arrival at Excelia
- Enjoy a virtual visit of our campuses, the surrounding areas and the major tourist attractions
LanguagesEnglish / French
LocationLa Rochelle, Tours
AccreditationTedQual / Diplôme visé
Double qualification: Bachelor and University Degree (3 years of higher education)
Discover the world of tourism!Explore the diversity of domains and find your perfect study path.View more
Our programmesBachelor or Masters of Science (MSc)… we are sure to have the perfect study programme for you!View more
AdmissionLooking to join one of our programmes? Find all the admission requirements and application procedures.View more
Bachelor in Tourism and Hospitality Management
I’ve been lucky enough to have had several international experiences, all of which were very enriching. You learn a lot from the local people, and about their customs... you need to have an experience like this at least once in your life!